Some kids like to play sports outdoors. They text their friends and bike to the park for a pickup game, some b-ball, or tossing the Frisbee around. Other kids would rather spend the afternoon in front of the TV or computer, but they still like to play games. As a parent, you want to encourage your kids to pursue their interests, but you would probably also like for them to get some exercise, especially with all the hubbub about the childhood obesity epidemic. Luckily, there are some sports games out there that can kill two birds with one stone. And thanks to the inclusion of motion sensor devices (or add-ons) for nearly every console these days, your kids can get their video game fix while simultaneously burning off some calories and excess energy. Of course, they may also want to play sports games that don’t include physical exertion. Either way, here are a few popular sports games that kids will go crazy for.
- Wii Sports Resort. If you’re looking to get kids moving during the time they spend playing video games, the Wii offers one of the most affordable options, not to mention plenty of games that will have your kids up on their feet and getting in some much-needed physical fitness. Wii Sports Resort is a game that should keep your kids busy for quite a while thanks to the many activities they can participate in, including water sports, sky diving, and sword play, just to name a few. And while games of this type are notorious for losing the attention of younger players, there are not only myriad sports to choose from, but they can compete in person or online against their friends, adding to the fun and challenge of gameplay.
- Mario Kart 8. This version of the game is due out at the end of May for the Wii platform, but until then your kids can enjoy previous iterations of this ever-popular racing game. Like earlier games in the series, version 8 will feature a variety of characters, tracks, and vehicles to choose from, and developers have included fan favorites from prior games. With HD graphics, anti-gravity tracks, and the ability to play online, this is one game that kids of all ages are sure to enjoy.
- Just Dance 2014. There’s almost no better way to get your kids up and moving than to put on their favorite tunes and let the video game teach them some dance moves. And the fact that this game is available for every modern platform imaginable (Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4) means that you won’t have to purchase a new console to get your kids in the game. And the latest iteration of this popular dance game includes tracks from artists that are trending now, including Lady Gaga and One Direction, as well as some classics that are equally fun to dance to. In fact, you might find yourself joining in!
- WWE2K14. It’s been a while since the last wrestling game was released, so fans of this form of sports entertainment were very excited for WWE2K14 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. And whether your kids enjoy creating their own characters or they like to play their favorites from the WWE, they’ll get all of the high-flying, hard-hitting action they watch every week on RAW. This game is rated T for Teen, so it’s intended for older kids.
- FIFA 14. When it comes to selecting video games for kids, don’t forget that there are several sports franchises that might appeal more to the teen crowd, including the penultimate soccer experience from EA Sports. Available on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4, this game offers stunning HD graphics, as well as plenty of action, including new technology that makes ball physics more realistic than ever. And with FIFA ultimate team coins, impatient kids don’t have to wait to get all the stuff they want for their game.