The summertime is the perfect time to get active with your kids. During the summer, there is ample opportunity to take time off work and take advantage of the fact that your child is out of school. There is a good chance that you don’t want your child to spend all day indoors watching movies and television. When it comes down to it, physical activity and healthy eating is essential for the growth and wellbeing of your child. Fortunately, there are many different activities that you can do this summer that won’t be too expensive. Moreover, you want to set up a plan – an itinerary. With a well organized calendar and itinerary, you will be able to properly organize your plans this summer and it will help you achieve all your physical fitness goals. Here is how to get healthy and active with your kids this summer.
- Go shopping for healthy food – it is important to head to the market to pick up some healthy, fresh options that you can use to make breakfast, lunch and dinner during the summer. When your child is not in school, and perhaps if you take the time off work, you will have more time to spend in the kitchen.
- Make a plan to go outside for at least 30 minutes a day – even if you go to the park, you want to be in the open air. This will also encourage your child to run around and get active. If you have a backyard, you have the luxury of simply stepping outside, but many people don’t have this luxury. When it comes down to it, you can do a quick Google search to find the nearest parks. If you have a dog, you can visit a dog park.
- Visit a gym – if your child is a little older, you may be able to visit a gym, like Fitness 19. You can stay healthy together when you and your child hit the machines to do various repetitions of different exercises. If you are feeling a little out of shape, you will start to feel great after getting on a regular exercise routine.
- Understand the importance of making physical activity fun and exciting – if physical activity is not fun, it will be difficult to get your child out the door. For instance, you may want to take your child to a jungle gym where he or she can swing and cross monkey bars. These jungle gyms are usually crawling with kids, so they are great for social interactions as well.
- Get a bike – a bicycle is a great tool for physical activity because you can take it out into the world and explore. Not only are you exercising – you are also having fun. Indeed, bikes range in price and you can easily find a used bicycle. However, the size of the bike should be very specific to your child’s height and skill level. For safety’s sake, you want to be sure that the bike is the right size and that your child is wearing a helmet. In the end, an injury can really spoil a summer.