Finding a reputable pediatrician is important because they will possibly be your closest ally during your child’s most formative years. Moreover, the search for a good pediatrician should start before birth so that you can be the most prepared to take care of your baby or child’s health. A good pediatrician usually meets three criteria: legally and medically qualified, good reviews from other patients and they must be excellent with children. You don’t want to take your children to a doctor that doesn’t really get along or is uncomfortable with kids. Finding the right pediatrician is easy, provided that you take the necessary steps. Here are some ways you can find a pediatrician you can trust.
- A pediatrician you can trust should always be certified by the American Academy of Pediatrics. A board certified pediatrician will be required to take annual tests and exams to maintain their license. They should also have four years of specialized medical training under their belt and three years of real, clinical experience. Some of the best-rated pediatricians have completed the highest levels of education and requirements to secure their position. These are usually the pediatricians you can trust the most.
- You should also start your search before birth. Starting your search for a pediatrician you can trust while you are still pregnant will give you a huge head start to find one that works for you and, most of all, your child. It is also recommended that you meet some of these doctors first hand for a little face-to-face meet and greet. This way you can find out if you actually get along with him or her. You can also devise a set of interview question so that you can get the best results from your interview process.
- You can also do a general survey among your closest friends, family and even coworkers. Chances are that if they have kids they have already found a pediatrician that not only they can trust, but that their kids can trust as well.
- You can also read many of the doctor reviews available online to find the best pediatrician. All you have to do is narrow the search down to your community or surrounding neighborhood. Sometimes giving an extra 10-mile radius will allow you to find more results with only 5 minutes more of driving time. Be sure to look at all the ratings, comments and the doctor’s accreditation.
- Lastly, you can always ask your obstetrician if they know of a pediatrician you can trust. Chances are, if you trust your obstetrician and they have been with you during your pregnancy, they might already know of a good doctor for your child. Sometimes getting a referral from a doctor that you already trust is the easiest way to find a pediatrician. While you are pregnant, going through a long process is something you might not want to have to deal with. In most cases, trusting your motherly instincts could be all that you need.