At the end of a long workweek, most moms just want to settle down with the kids on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn to watch a movie. In fact, family psychologists say that one of the best ways for families to bond and catch up is to gather around and pop in a DVD. There is no better time than the weekend, because you and the kids probably don’t have much to do except kick off your shoes and find a movie that the whole family can enjoy. It is important, however, to find a film that is safe enough for the kids to watch, but that can also be tolerated by mom and dad too. Here are 5 great movies for a fun family weekend.
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, or just simple E.T., is an age-old classic, directed by the illustrious Steven Spielberg about a boy that meets and befriends an alien and must keep it hidden from both his parents and the government. Released in 1982, E.T. is a classic tale about youth and adventure that is sure to inspire. It will definitely entertain the kids, but it is also a great movie for parents to watch as well.
- Another great film that is fun for the whole family is a Disney classic called Lion King. The film is an animated feature that is set in Africa and is based off the biblical tale of Joseph and Moses. A young Lion named Simba must save his pride and his kingdom after an evil lion named Scar kills his father, the King Mufasa. This is a coming of age tale of revenge and redemption, but also about finding yourself in a wild and chaotic world. This film is sure to take whole family on a magical, heartwarming journey.
- One other incredible movie for the whole family takes place at a high school in the 1950s after two people return from a summer break romance and realize they are in the same school. Grease is a musical classic that is fun for both parents and children. Your children might want to dress like 1950s greasers after they watch the film, but don’t worry it will only be a passing phase.
- The 2010 remake of the classic tale of Lewis Carroll’s masterpiece Alice & Wonderland stars the wonderful Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter and Mia Wasikowska in the starring role of Alice. This remake takes advantage of all the newest bells and whistles in special effects to create a visual chef-d’oeuvre. This film is best watched in blu-ray 3D to get the full cinematic experience.
- Lastly, by far one of the greatest movies for a family fun weekend is an age-old classic called Milo and Otis. This cinema classic is a story about a puppy and a kitten that grow up on a farm, but get lost after Milo (an adorable orange tabby) accidently gets washed down a river and Otis (an adorable pug) goes looking for him. This is sure to shed a fear tears, but also a tremendous amount of smiles.